Hearing aids come in a variety of different styles, and it’s always worth developing an understanding of your options before you take the plunge. Behind-the-ear (BTE) and in-the-canal (ITC) hearing aids are two of the most popular styles used in the modern world, and these hearing aids can be very different. Let’s look at these different hearing aid styles to enable you to draw a comparison.
BTE Vs. ITC
BTE and ITC hearing aids are very different in their shape and style, giving them advantages and disadvantages that apply to different users. But how are these hearing aids different?
BTE Hearing Aids
Behind-the-ear hearing aids are larger than most, with a piece that fits behind the ear and a piece that sides within the ear. A thin clear tube will usually connect these two pieces, making the device more visible than other types of hearing aid.
ITC Hearing Aids
ITC hearing aids are much smaller than BTE hearing aids. They are the smallest hearing aids available on the modern market. This makes them exceptionally light and discreet but can also mean that they lack features.
The Benefits Of BTE
As mentioned above, hearing aids always have their own benefits that will make them better for some users than others. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of behind-the-ear style hearing aids to give you a head start.
- Battery life: BTE hearing aids have more space for large batteries, giving them a longer usable lifespan and making them great for people who use their hearing aid all the time.
- Ease of use: A large size makes it easier to make the controls on your hearing aid
- Comfort: Moving the bulk of the weight of your hearing aid to the back of your ear can reduce the strain you feel wearing it each day.
- Advanced features: BTE hearing aids often have room for features like Bluetooth, and this is perfect for those who want a hearing aid that can deliver.
The Benefits Of ITC
ITC hearing aids are some of the smallest hearing aids on the market, and this makes them perfect for many users. But what else do these hearing aids have up their sleeve?
- Incredibly simple: Many ITC hearing aids lack the advanced features of a BTE hearing aid, but this can be good for those who want a simple hearing device.
- Light and small: As the smallest hearing aids on the market, ITC hearing aids are almost invisible when you wear them.
- Comfort: Comfort is extremely important when it comes to a device like a hearing aid. Many people consider ITC hearing aids to be the most comfortable on the market.
BTE and ITC hearing aids are very different, even if they share many of the same features. It’s always worth considering how these features could impact your daily life, but a hearing health professional can help you with this.