Hypoacusis is a condition with defective, but functional hearing without hearing aids. Typically, there will be problems hearing without a hearing aid. Hypoacusis may affect one or both ears. Hypoacusis can be broken down into these categories:
- Conductive hearing loss – when hearing loss is due to problems with the ear canal, ear drum, or middle ear and its little bones (the malleus, incus, and stapes).
- Sensorineural hearing loss – when hearing loss is due to problems of the inner ear, also known as nerve-related hearing loss.
- Mixed hearing loss – refers to a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. This means that there may be damage in the outer or middle ear and in the inner ear (cochlea) or auditory nerve.
Want to know more about hyperacusis?
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infection (otitis media – an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
- Otosclerosis – a hereditary disorder in which a bony growth forms around a small bone in the middle ear, preventing it from vibrating when stimulated by sound.
- Exposure to loud noise
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Hearing loss that runs in the family
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere’s Disease
Hypoacusis is treated most effectively with hearing aids. Today, discreet hearing aids are made as both ITE and BTE types. Lansdowne Hearing can help you determine which might be best based on your hearing loss and preference. Most hearing aids have directionality capabilities so the user can actually select from narrow directionality to directional speech focus and then to directional speech enhancement. Please complete the form to talk with someone about your personal consultation.
Try the world’s first natural own voice! Clinically proven to be the best!
Signia (Siemens) Nx:
- Most natural hearing experience
- Improves immediate acceptance of your own voice by 75%
- Outstanding speech quality
- Crystal clear sound in all listening environments
- World’s first Own Voice Processing (OVPTM)
Signia (Siemens) Nx was clinically proven in a 2017 “First Fit Study” conducted at Hörzentrum Oldenburg and a clinical study done at the University of Northern Colorado and published in February 2018. Lansdowne Hearing can help you hear like you were 21 years old again!