Itchy ear solutions
Can’t stop scratching your ears? An itchy ear canal (the tube that connects your outer ear to your eardrum) happens to people of all ages. How you can get relief will depend on what’s making you scratch.
No matter the cause of your itch, it’s never a good idea to stick any objects in your ears. You could damage your inner ear, including the tiny bones that help you hear.
Want to know more about itchy ears?
Here are some reasons why your ears might itch:
- Earwax buildup. Wax is your body’s way of cleaning dead skin cells and dirt out of your ears, but too much of it can make them itch.
- Infections. Itchy ears can sometimes be a sign of an ear infection. Bacteria and viruses cause them, usually when you have a cold, the flu, or allergies. One kind, swimmer’s ear, can happen when water stays in your ear after you swim. Too much moisture wears away your ear canal’s natural layer of defense against germs.
- Skin allergies. The skin inside your ears can itch because of an allergic reaction. A beauty product like hair spray or shampoo could be the culprit. So can products that have nickel, like earrings. Plastic, rubber, or metal you put inside your ears, like earbuds or a hearing aid, can also cause a rash called contact dermatitis.
- Eczema or psoriasis. If you have these skin conditions, you may be prone to itchy ear canals. You can usually treat these problems with ear drops. In severe cases, you may also need to take steroid pills.
Some solutions for itchy ears
Most issues will clear up without medical intervention. Nonetheless, treatment of itchy ears often hinges on curing the underlying cause of the issue. Many itchy ear issues can be cleared using hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol or vinegar. Additional options include garlic-infused olive oil as an antibiotic drop, tea tree oil or even olive oil applied to the site of irritation.
Try the world’s first natural own voice! Clinically proven to be the best!
Signia (Siemens) Nx:
- Most natural hearing experience
- Improves immediate acceptance of your own voice by 75%
- Outstanding speech quality
- Crystal clear sound in all listening environments
- World’s first Own Voice Processing (OVPTM)
Signia (Siemens) Nx was clinically proven in a 2017 “First Fit Study” conducted at Hörzentrum Oldenburg and a clinical study done at the University of Northern Colorado and published in February 2018. Lansdowne Hearing can help you hear like you were 21 years old again!